Saturday, March 16, 2013

Living and D&D

Starting in sixth grade my parents gave me near complete freedom.  I was allowed to go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted, even sleep over on school nights, with only such that I would inform them where I would be before I left.

I'm surprised I lived.  I would sometimes go into the woods with nothing but shirt, cutoffs and shoes.  Somehow I would make my way back.  Actually, I did live, really lived, because of this.

The other kid in the pic here is Channing.  I'm trying to throw up the rabbit ears and he's looking at me like "dude, seriously?" 

Channing lived in the garage at his house.  However, it was a separate building and had been converted into a proper bedroom with carpeting, a bathroom and everything.  It was there that I first saw D&D, a game that was to change my life forever.

The two boys were playing Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits  My first character was a Human Fighter (no name) with 18 in every stat.  I soon took over as DM because I could read and understand the rulebooks really well.  I was so hooked.  It's all I could think of or do for many years to come.

Some of my fave characters from that era:
A cleric named Cirelce.
A gold dragon named Rachel.






No comments:

Post a Comment